Wednesday 26 August 2009

Winamp or iTunes?

Thas's a questions, isnt it?

I have been using iTunes for years. I think its the best player I have had. But life is change and I decided to try something else - Winamp.

I am trying to use winamp for exactly one week now. And to be honest, its gonna be the first and the last week with that media player. I followed my little personal rule to help me with impatience and new stuff - its about getting used to it, giving time to "know the shit" (getting all gangsta' now :)), and finally, customizing what ever i want to customize. First impression was great - my library was added during few seconds. I am used to have my music sorted perfectly - in iTunes I have two playlist folders - often listened and rarely listened, and in those i have created playlists A-Z interprets.

I tried to do the same in Winamp, I dont persist on having frequency folders, but what I really want to is to be able to sort songs in each playlist. By time, by name of song, by album, by comment, by anything i want to. Here comes the first problem, when accesing the actual "playlist" folder you created, i havent managed how to customize columns, and it offered me just simple ordination "Artist - song". I dont know which rule did it use, but it took me ages to find just one song in my Radiohead playlist, as I have all the discography :))) (yeah you guess right i am just showing off). Unfortunately i didnt manage to organise that in winamp. But i got over it, because winamp offered me great feature called "play songs similar to [xxx]". 

This very useful little utility was practicly only reason why i decided to stay with winamp (patience brings roses). Right-click on song and Winamp playlist generator will start scanning your library. 4 steps, first, second and third went good but the last. The last step stuck. After 2 hours waiting in curiosity what is gonna happen it still was saying "Analysing songs in progress, 0 from 6548 analysed." (or something like that).

That was it. I have done a little research (at first i enjoy to fix things and second i really want this helpful little thing). And found out that its not only me who has this problem. I even found an answer!

It simply doesnt work.

So, after few hours figting with winamp i am going back to old good itunes, it may be a little lumpish, but i dont see any reason, why should I desert to winamp :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment