Wednesday 27 January 2010

First week with new Asus EEE 1201N

It was my birthday and my wish was to get a nice netbook. Ive chosen then new Asus EEE 1201N in red colour and will share my experiences Ive had so far.

I know there are lots of reviews of this notebook, but found only one user's one and it didnt give me informations I wanted to know. Doubt google will google this article, but maybe it will be useful for some people who cant decide which device to buy.

The netbook really looks wonderful. Its design is one of the most beautiful Ive seen. Ive read some reviews, where was said, that its glossy so its very easily getting dirty with lots of fingerprints. Dont know if its only red one, but mine has glossy only the part inside - around a keybord and though the fingerprints are not as visible as i expected. When the netbook is closed, its not glossy at all (dont know the english word - opaque?) and it has nice smooth surface and it took me a while to put a fingerprint on it (also took me a while to clean it).


Its pretty big in comparism with other netbooks which is big big possitive, hate the tiny ones when its hard to put your finger on the letter you actually want to - the keybord is really king sized, on each side it has only 7mm to the edge, so there are no problems with writing or typing mistakes. Didnt notice any problems with buttons, all of them are pretty responsive, not too hard to press also not too soft, just perfect.

LCD Screen 12,1'' HD definition, everything is nice and sharp and watching videos its just awesome. Only thing which disturbs a wee bit is, that the screen really is glossy, so if you have light behind you, you can see yourself (as on the picture - click to get bigger) pretty good and its distracting from eg. watching movie or playing game. On other netbooks disturbs me that you have to scroll many times, even to side, there is no problem with this.

Touchpad. It has really nice surface - its not divided by terrible "edges" but only little spots are on it, very pleasant to touch. Its fast, responsive, accurate. Only problem I am noticing is, that multitouch is being kind of cheeky to me. Dont know if its issue of every of them, but mine from time to time decides to disable scrolling and zooming. I scroll using two fingers sliding up or down and according to that screen scrolls. But sometimes I can slide to death and the screen wont move, even though the little symbol of scrolling appears. Only restart helps, then it works perfectly... Have browsed through some settings but everything seemed to be "working". Googled if somebody has experiencing the same troubles but didnt find anything so I will appreciate if you can give me some hint what the problem is.
The touchpad buttons are bit harder to press for me, but getting quite used to it, anyway I use just tap on the pad's area than pressing the buttons.

Webcam - no troubles, nice 0.3M, picture is sharp and doesnt stuck while videophoning on skype or wherever.

Battery life. Here I am really disappointed. Read some reviews, also the description on the site I bought this (!!), where is said that the battery can hold on even 8 hours! Well, sure it can, if you keep it off. But if you are normally working on it, dont expect more than 3 hours, 3 and half max. I set mine to: wifi on (permanently online), BT off, LCD brightness to 20% and sounds off and battery mode to "power saving". Using only internet, microsoft word and powerpoint. Didnt get more than 3 hours and 25 minutes. Done everything right, completely let the battery die, then charge, then use it till it dies and then charged it again, but really more than 4 hours is impossible. But according to processor and graphics card and performance its understandable and you can always buy one more battery to keep going :)

Speakers and microphone
. Speakers are two on each side of netbook. They are not best, but not worst either. Can go pretty loud, but when listening to music quite loud, you can really hear noise which disturbs the music. In headphones everything seems fine. Watching movie was just fine, when people talk, the noise is smaller, but when there was some exciting music, had to turn it down a little bit, but that still made a nice hearable sound, so if you are not at the train station, you will enjoy the movie anyway (and the screen is really awesome). Microphone is sensitive, other side on skype and landline and mobile phone heard me clearly, without noises and other disturbings, even when I was sitting about 50cm far away from the pc.

Windows 7 Home Premium. This is my first experience with this new operating system. On my normal PC I am running WIN XP and my experience with Vista equals my experience of walking on the moon. It runs really fast with 2GB ram memory, nvidia ION graphics card and intel atom processor inside. It didnt stuck even once so far which nicely surprised me. If you are used to windows XP, you will easily get used to WIN7 - I managed it in 10 minutes to work out the basics. Only problem I got was to understand strange Documents explorer. You have your favourites, then libraries and then PC itself (maybe this is in Vista too?). Took me a while to understand the difference between "library" and "Computer", but then I realised how does it work and its much better than in Win XP. In your libraries (music, movies, documetns, ...) you are having some sort of "shortcuts" to your folders which are in "computer\D:"... Imagine you have some movies on D: disc and C disc as well. In libraries you have everything on one place and you dont have to browse through your discs and find them. Of course you can set which destinations your libraries load, I have set it to only D: disc as I am using it mostly for data as music and movies.

Only once the screen started to be funny - green, blue, grey blinking, thought its some virus but the provided "Trend micro security" didnt find anything and because I find NOD32 as the best antivirus system you can get, I downloaded theirs and it didnt find anything as well. Restart helped and it didnt happen for 5 days already so hopefully it was just some crazy bug repaired by some updates.

Gaming. I am installing all files through my home wifi network, put dvd into drive on big computer and install it on asus, which works pretty fine and fast - proves the speed of wifi as well which is really good and without any bugs like disconnecting when you really dont need to be cut off connection. Installed Aliens vs. Predator 2, SOD II gold edition and Commandos 2. Works great. All of the games are quite old and the compatibility with WIN7 doesnt make any problems, it just runs fast, smooth and doesnt stuck at all. Tried SODII network multiplayer - works great as well, no problems with connnection or speed, even seen other players been freezing. Was afraid of not compatibility with new system but was nicely surprised. Only problem with those games is that they dont run HD definition so from each side of screen there is about 5cm black gap which from the beginning really distracted me, but I got used to it... Tried to set the resolution in the games, but it didnt have the one needed. Maybe its problem of only those games or every game, dont know, but its not such a big problem for me. (but having fullscreen game would really increase the game experience).

To summarize all of it, I am really happy with this little wee device, especially because its not so little wee,
its fast, great looking and comfortable. If you cant decide what to buy, I sincerely recommend this one. Great for work, study and as multimedia station too.
If you have any questions feel free to ask.

0 comments:

Post a Comment